Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce
2 cups whole wheat bowtie pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley OR 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to directions on package
- Place a large skillet on medium to high heat and add olive oil, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the onion becomes soft.
- Add broth, pumpkin, sage, salt and pepper and reduce heat to simmer for approximately 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to pumpkin sauce, stirring to combine.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley prior to serving.